Star-Oddi Loggers in Virology Research
Logger used: DST micro-T, temperature logger
Since Star-Oddi launched the first data loggers in 1993 our loggers have been used in a wide variety of research. After the release of our first implantable temperature sensor in 2003, one of the most prominent fields of research has been in the field of virology, including vaccine development.
Used in Studies on a Variety of Viruses
Throughout the years, the Star-Oddi loggers have been used in research on multiple viruses. This includes studies on SARS-CoV, bird flu, ebola virus disease (EVD), seasonal influenza, and vector-borne diseases. More recently the loggers have been used in studies on SARS-CoV-2, which causes the disease Covid-19.
Suitable for All Biosafety Levels
The Star-Oddi temperature, heart rate and activity loggers are well suited to monitor both short and long term physiological changes in animals. They are suitable for use in laboratories working with any biosafety level, making them a good option for those working at BSL3 and BSL4.
Covid-19 Research Papers
1. Cross, et al. Intranasal Exposure of African Green Monkeys to SARS-CoV-2 Results in Acute Phase Pneumonia with Shedding and Lung Injury Still Present in the Early Convalescence Phase. Virology Journal. 2020.
2. Woolsey, et al. Establishment of an African Green Monkey Model for COVID-19 and Protection Against Re-Infection. Nature Immunology. 2020.
3. Harris, et al. A Synthetic Peptide CTL Vaccine Targeting Nucleocapsid Confers Protection from SARS-CoV-2 Challenge in Rhesus Macaques. Vaccines. 2021
4. Nomura, et al. Subacute SARS-CoV-2 replication can be controlled in the absence of CD8+ T cells in cynomolgus macaques. PLOS Pathogens. 2021
5. van de Ven K, van Dijken H, Wijsman L, Gomersbach A, Schouten T, Kool J, Lenz S, Roholl P, Meijer A, van Kasteren PB and de Jonge J. Pathology and Immunity After SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Male Ferrets Is Affected by Age and Inoculation Route. Front. Immunol. 2021.
6. Johnson DM, Comer JE. Evaluation of molnupiravir (EIDD-2801) efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 in the rhesus macaque model. Antiviral Research. 2022.
7. Volas Boas de Melo, C., Peters, F. et al. Influenza Infection in Ferrets with SARS-CoV-2 Infection History. Microbiology Spectrum (e01386-22). 2022.
8. Hashimoto M, Hesegawa H. et al. Immunogenicity and protective efficacy of SARS-CoV-2 recombinant S-protein vaccine S-268019-b in cynomolgus monkeys. Vaccine 40(31), 4231-4241. 2022.
1. van den Brand, et al. The use of Star-Oddi temperature loggers in laboratory animal experiments for pathogenesis research and evaluation of prevention and treatment of infectious diseases.
2. van Geest, et al. A simple solution to prevent the abdominal migration of temperature loggers, and to facilitate their smooth retrieval post-study in macaques.
3. Bjarnason, et al. Leadless heart rate loggers minimize impact of surgery and remove housing constraints.
4. de Waal, et al. Data Loggers for Measuring Activity Levels Provide a Powerful Tool for Clinical Scoring in Experimental Ferrets.
Top Cited Virology Research Papers
1. van de Brand, et al. Severity of Pneumonia Due to New H1N1 Influenza Virus in Ferrets Is Intermediate between That Due to Seasonal H1N1 Virus and Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N1 Virus. The Journal of Infectious Disease. 2010.
2. Friesen, et al. New Class of Monoclonal Antibodies against Severe Influenza: Prophylactic and Therapeutic Efficacy in Ferrets. PLOS One. 2010.
3. Hamelin, et al. Oseltamivir-Resistant Pandemic A/H1N1 Virus Is as Virulent as Its Wild-Type Counterpart in Mice and Ferrets. PLOS Pathogens. 2010.
4.Kreijzt, et al. Recombinant Modified Vaccinia Virus Ankara Expressing the Hemagglutinin Gene Confers Protection against Homologous and Heterologous H5N1 Influenza Virus Infections in Macaques. The Journal of Infectious Disease. 2010.
5. van de Brand, et al. Comparison of Temporal and Spatial Dynamics of Seasonal H3N2, Pandemic H1N1 and Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N1 Virus Infections in Ferrets. PLOS One. 2012.